Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Summer Blessings

Just re-read all the previous posts.  Wow.  Things were pretty grim through May, huh?  The good news was, after the turbo antibiotics annihilated that last episode of C. Diff, my health started to improve dramatically.  I actually felt NORMAL for the first time in six months.  My energy returned and I was gaining weight (I weighed in at 105 following one of my hospital discharges.  I am 5'7".  105 is not a pretty sight on my frame.  I remember just staring at myself in the mirror thinking, "Karen Carpenter is in my room.  For the love of God, will somebody PLEASE feed her?!?!?!).  I was finally off all the crazy painkillers and other drugs I kept bringing home with each doctors' appointment.  Woo-hoo!  I even started running again.  Not very far or very fast, but enough to experience that wonderful endorphin rush I had been missing for months.

Summer was AWEsome.  It was the first summer that I hadn't worked in a while, so hanging out with Katie and Jake, their friends, and the moms was a real treat.  I took my time soaking in the long, lazy summer days. The crew and I spent time sailing with my dad, visiting with friends and family, and vacationing in the Outer Banks, NC.  Life was good, and kept getting better.

With renewed health, energy, and that annoying drug-induced fog lifted, I could reflect upon all the blessings in my life, most importantly, my amazing husband.  My illness literally came out of nowhere.  I had no time to prepare family meals, organize kids' school & sports/extracurricular logistics, or take care of household management issues.  I was too sick to comfort my own children when I was home in between hospital visits.  In the midst of all of that, Jeff shone like the rock star that he is.  He has this amazing ability to remain unruffled, even-keeled, and positive at all times.  His even demeanor and level headedness kept the kids calm, the house from imploding, and everybody got to where they needed to be on time.  There were no balls dropped on Jeff 's watch.  Jeff was my voice at the hospital and to the doctors & medical staff when I was in too much pain or drugged up to articulate effectively.  He was my brain when I couldn't think through a medical decision.  He patiently repeated doctors' explanations of my condition, procedures, and treatment approaches multiple times to me when the meds mangled my short term memory.  He was right there beside me for every moan and groan I uttered.  He bitched loud and long to the nurses when a private room was not available, refusing to relent until they found one for me.  That man is my rock.

Katie & Jake are simply amazing.  They have been so strong and brave through everything.  We spent alot of time talking about their fears and worries about what was going on with my body.  But they are smart and resilient.  They absorbed the medical explanations of UC and the surgical plan like a sponge, and seemed comforted by the information, knowing an end was in sight.  Not once did they complain about how my illness interfered with their lives.  They were happy when I was up and about, and let me rest when exhaustion and fatigue overcame me.  I am so proud of them.

The grandparents have been great.  We are lucky to have both sets living within an hour and a quarter of us.   During my hospital stays, they took turns staying at the house helping out with the kids and household concerns.  Their presence was comforting to the kids and helpful to Jeff.  After each hospital discharge, my mom stayed with me.  "I'll be your arms and legs," she declared, assuming all cooking, laundry, pet feeding, and housekeeping duties.  Needless to say, things were much more organized and tidy when she was here!

My friends have been wonderful.  Each time I was hospitalized, the Cleveland ladies organized meal delivery schedules and carpools, brought me thoughtfully selected books and trashy magazines to pass the time and shared precious words of encouragement and love.  My dear friend Susan came up from Columbus to fill my house with joy and laughter, giving my kids respite from their mom's gloomy presence.  While she was here, she cooked dinner and grocery shopped.  A birdfeeder she gave me sits right outside my bedroom window so I can enjoy my backyard's aviary action from my bed. 

I am so grateful to have such a great family and all of these wonderful ladies in my life.  There is nothing more important in life than who you love






No comments:

Post a Comment